
I found this wonderful sheer fabric with hearts on it and smocking on the top (already ready to be made into a dress - hemmed at the bottom and everything); then found some pink fabric to go under it. Well, that was two years ago. Seeing that Valentine's Day was on Sunday, I thought Elise better have a dress - and oh, I have some fabric that would work hiding in this basket in the basement! So, Friday I went to work on it. The only problem was that the sheer fabric had that smocked top - how can I make the top of the pink fabric flexible like the sheer fabric (and not have to put in a zipper or anything)? Also, can I do this without a pattern? I ended up looking at the skirt part of one of Elise's uniform dresses, matching the top parts with the top of the smocking, and then using a piece of paper to make a pattern for wide straps ( I was trying to make a strap that would go over her shoulder and part of her arm like a cap sleeve, but I've never done sleeves before and only came up with thick straps). The bottom didn't get hemmed before she wore it today, but since the sheer fabric was on top of the pink and it came hemmed, it didn't look too awful. And I didn't have the right color of thread, so it was white and showed every mistake, but what matters is that I DID IT!! :-) ;-) :-)
And Elise likes it and it did look really cute on her.
5 comments:
I think I have a kindred spirit in that we share the sewing idea that what matters is that "I did it" Waiting for a picture.
Thanks Abi! Glad we share the same sentiments about sewing. *chuckle*
Hope your move was good.
Very nicely done, Krista! What a great thing to do.
Way to go, Krista! I know the feeling of getting that first real sewing project done. You did a great job and Elise looks darling!
Looks great! Great job. Proud of you. Love ya.
Post a Comment