Nate's sister, Liz decided to purchase her parents' red Mazda Miada. The only problem was that it was here in the mid-west and she lives in Oregon.
So, we were blessed to get her out here for a day so she could pick it up. I drove to the airport to get her...and then ended up driving west with her for part of her drive.
We had a really fun time and visited lots of crazy sites along the way! I know I got a picture of Liz and I together, but I don't know where it is...
I drove to Ogden with her where we stayed with their sister, Audrey for the night. Then she headed off to Oregon and I headed down to SLC to stay with my Dad one night. I visited all four of my grandparents, my sister-in-law, nieces and nephews; my brother and his family and of course was able to spend some time with my Dad and Vickie. It was quick, and fun, and so great to see everyone!
Amazingly and very sadly, I didn't even take pictures with my nieces, who I took out to lunch! Nor of any of the rest of my family. But I did get pictures with my grandparents. :
My 89 year old Grandma Eastman. Even though she has dementia, she is great! I often hear the same story every time I come and she tries to pay and give tips to the people in her assisted living home during the meals (which of course she already pays for as part of her rent), but it's such a blessing to still visit with her. The last time I was there she helped me with a sewing project. She's a very skilled seamstress!
My 94 (almost 95) year old Grandpa Eastman. He is still very sharp but his eye-site is pretty much gone (three of my grandparents have retinal degeneration and the other has glaucoma). He loves to make mice out of handkerchiefs, plays the ukelele, play Wii bowling ("I can't pick up those real bowling balls anymore!") and still fits into his WWII uniform.
My 90 year old Grandparents Gillis. They did NOT want to get their picture taken! But I begged them and my grandma walked over to my grandpa and just plopped her hand on his bald head. I just love that. They are so funny and loving toward each other (yet super pragmatic). My grandpa can't walk anymore without a walker and sometimes falls and is unable to get up. My grandma helps him most of the time, but she often lets him still try to do things on his own. For instance he was missing when I got there to visit and she called for him. When he finally came out, he rolled on over and wanted to get his chocolate (she always keeps some by the front door per old German tradition) and she's says: "Well, you've still go two good legs and a set of wheels; you can get it." She's not being mean, she just wants him to still feel like he can do things on his own because he does need help with other things like bathing and such.









1 comment:
How blessed you are to have your grandparents still living! Love hearing about your trip.
Dorothy
Post a Comment