"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family." - Thomas S. Monson -

Monday, May 18, 2009

Serious subjects discussed with almost 5 year old

Tonight, I decided it would be good to make sure my kids knew what to do in case of an emergency and got a DVD from the library on how and when to dial 911. At dinner, I was prepping them for it by talking about some of the stuff they would see in it. It talks about how it is okay to call 911 if your friend has a gun and is just showing it to you or playing with it and doesn't want to put it down for whatever reason. I was telling the kids about it and Elise said "Yeah, just like in the museum..." My mind went to security guards in a museum carrying guns and was about to respond, when she continued and said "...remember, on Danny and the Dinosaur, when they were in the museum." That was all she said. I tried to figure out exactly how she was tying it together, but, hey, it made sense to her. So, after awhile I went on to tell them that we would learn about dialing 911 and was explaining that firemen or policemen would come out if you dialed it; to which E said "Like on Wall-E!!" At least with this analogy I could remember that there were police robots in that movie. Apparently Max new what she was talking about and they had a nice little conversation about police and firemen. Hopefully the DVD did it's job in reaching out to pre-schoolers and helped clear up any misconceptions. Until then, I'm having very amusing, but a little confusing, conversations with my almost 5 year old.

2 comments:

Meg said...

What a great idea.

Annie said...

This is a good idea - I've thought about this before, if Nathan would know what to do if something happened to me. At least he knows how to call Alex at work, but if he couldn't call him, it would be good for him to know what to do. Sounds like a good FHE.