
SLEDDING AGAIN: With so much snow, we
had to take advantage of it and go sledding again. The battery on my camera was dying so I don't have too many pictures, but I did get to take a video of Elise and I going down the hill and one of Max trying to head for a jump, which hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to put on here. In past years we have gone to the lake-park near our house to sled. We headed to our usual spot but the road to our usual place hadn't been plowed. Luckily, two different people, seeing me with the kids and our sledding gear, said something about "
the sledding hill", so we decided to head around the lake to find it. It was great! There isn't just one sledding hill, there are two very large hills that meet together at the bottom and then run into the woods. Max just went right down (though slowly at first) without worrying too much. And then went down again, and again, and again. But Elise was initially nervous, so I told her I'd go with her. We were going along quickly, but smoothly, when to both of our surprise some previous sledder had erected a large ramp made of snow. Nothing I did, could get us off that course, so, yes, we did gain some air on our first flight down. Fortunately, Elise is cautious, but after her caution is over (one try does it) she is a daredevil. She continually tried to hit those ramps the whole rest of the time. That was one of the best work outs I've had in a long time!
TRYING OUT NEW THINGS TO EAT OUT OF A KIDS COOKBOOK:
So, I've tried a few things out of these two cook books I found at the library. And have had about 85% of them work out (that is to say that the kids ate it
all without stalling, complaining, making sad or deplorable faces). My version usually doesn't look as good as the one in the book, but it tastes pretty good.
Book's version:

My version:

CANNING:
I inherited 5-5 gallon drums of whole wheat. First, they were my mom's, but she gave it to my sister and brother-in-law, but when he moved, he gave it to our friend, Tracy, who didn't have room for it in her house anymore, so she gave it to me. For three years, Nate and I have moved those drums around and around in my garage. They are heavy! So, when I happened to be at the cannery one day, I was delighted to find out that I could borrow a canner. I bought 20 #10 cans and took the canner home. The kids had a really great time helping with the canner and it's pretty easy to use. The only problem is that I used 16 cans to can the contents of only two of the 5 gallon drums! Now I have 16 cans of wheat, three cans of pasta, and one of rice (those drums are so difficult to open, we were too tired to open the 3rd drum with only 4 cans left, so filled them with other stuff we had around the house). So, we still have 3 more heavy, heavy drums of wheat in the garage - but we have 16 wonderful cans of wheat that are easy to carry, easy to store, and easy to open, in the basement!

The kids washing the dishes. ;-)
2 comments:
Loved you story about the sledding. It sounded so fun. I do miss the fun times we had sledding. However I don't miss the snow. I also enjoyed the photo of your dinner.
I am glad you got the wheat in the cans. I guess if the bins are that hard to open the wheat should still be good. However I do understand wanting to get it in smaller cans. However if you can find a good can opener that opens those #10 cans let me know. I've had a hard time getting them open. Love you
Fun times sledding! My kids have no idea. :)
Post a Comment