"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family." - Thomas S. Monson -

Sunday, August 15, 2010

School Started

I don't have any pictures for this post either, but this time it's because I just didn't take any.  So, we'll do that tomorrow. 
The kids started school on Friday, yes, the 13th - crazy, but I'm sure there is some reason for having the first day on a Friday.
Our principal from the last three years got moved to a different school that needed her strict schedule and no-nonsense personality.  Now we've got a new principal, new secretary, both my kids have two of the new teachers and the kindergarten class has 37 people in it!  (I'm sure they are rectifying - or at least, I really hope they are.)

Needless to say, the day was crazy!  Everyone expected things to run how it used to, which of course, under new administration, it was different.  I'm not saying that was a bad thing, I'm just saying it was different. 

Usually, we have the kids take the bus home, but we had to go pick up glasses for Nate and Max before they closed, so we were waiting...and waiting...and waiting with many other parents for our kids to come out.  When they finally came out, Elise was crying because she knew that she was right about taking the bus and Max was kept telling her that we were going to pick them up and the staff wasn't sure which one they were suppose to do.  (Max and Elise were escorted out by Max's old teacher from last year who now has the lucky duty to be the kindergarten teacher.)
I'm telling you, it was pretty chaotic! 
I'm thinking the rest of the day was pretty good because they both liked their new teachers and told of some kids in their classes that have been in their classes before. Elise: E is in my class, but she doesn't really like me, but A is in my class and we're good friends.  Max: T is in my class again, we have been in the same class since kindergarten - but that's a good thing, he's been my friend since Ms. H's class!

Aside from friends who they remember from last year, tomorrow, they will be taking the bus home and that will be familiar.

Even though, it is very different, chaotic, and the principal really doesn't seem to have the desire to meet or talk to or have any relationship with the parents, something that I really please to find out about this principal, is that she seems to see the importance of physical exercise and it's correlation with study.  Hooray!  I gave a power-point presentation to the other principal about it and talked with her for over an hour and got nowhere.  So, accentuate the positive, eh?

4 comments:

Mandy Beyeler said...

oh, I didn't realize that it was friday the 13th - hmmmm

Annie said...

Oooh, just saw your family pic on the blog - great photo.

Anyway, we're getting ready to start school soon, and I'm a little anxious about things. We went to register this week and I was expecting to get some info. about the school or schedule or anything and I walked out with nothing in hand. Since we're new to the area, we really don't know anything about the teachers or the school (although we haven't heard anything negative about it), and I thought we'd get some information. The only thing I know is when school starts. Hopefully I'll feel more informed after that 1st week...

Meg said...

Wow, what a day! Poor little Elise. I can just imagine! Glad the routine of school is getting back together. I hope your principal gets more parent-friendly. Miss you all!

The Tibbitts said...

Wow, that sounds like a lot of change for your school, but hopefully, it works out for the best. Glad your kids had a good first day. Also, it was fun to see you guys on our way to Virginia. Hopefully, we will get to see more of you and your family.