"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family." - Thomas S. Monson -

Sunday, September 5, 2010

"I can see clearly now, ...."

Before
After
Tutorial, compliments of Dad, on care of your glasses.
Care of Spectacle Objects continued.
A few weeks ago we were watching something on TV in the kitchen.  There was a caption on the bottom of the screen (the TV is in the living room - as you see - with a half-wall dividing the kitchen and the living room).  Max, who has been getting eye exams at school, says: Mom, can you read that for me?  What? I'm thinking, you can't see that?!  Time to get your eyes checked by an eye doctor.  So, after taking him to the doctor, we found that he does indeed need glasses!  Nate and Max had a good time trying on lots of different kinds of glasses and settled on these two pair.  To the excitement of all, the glasses came in Friday.  Some things about Max and his glasses:
  • He apparently said the same thing, almost word for word, that Nate said when he got his glasses:  "Look at the trees!  You can see the leaves on them, not just clumps of green!"
  • Lots of people at church told him that he looked older now,
  • In the past when we'd go for a drive, Max would spend his time reading a book - the whole time!  You may say, well, there's nothing wrong with that; but, I always thought it'd be good if he'd look out the window every once in while and see where we were or look at the sights.  Little did I know how little he could see - no wonder a book was so much more appealing than blobs of blur racing past you constantly! I also have to laugh at myself because in an effort to make him look out the window more, after we'd go somewhere, I'd have him and Elise give me instructions back to our house.  He'd always tell me directions as we were right on top of the turn or half-way through it - my regular retort to that would be - you've got to give me more time than that!  Tsk, tsk - if I'd only known!  Oh, but I digress - my thought on this was, that today we took a drive and as I looked in the rear view mirror at Max, he was indeed looking out the window and he spent about 10 minutes making faces at himself in the mirror - which he must not have ever been able to distinguish before. 
  • So far, he likes them - a lot!

6 comments:

Annie said...

I'm just waiting for the time when our boys need glasses. I'm betting all of them will since both Alex and I need glasses. I thought the tree thing was great because that is exactly what I said and noticed the first time I got glasses. You don't realize how blurry things are until you see clear through your lenses.

The Tibbitts said...

Congrats on the glasses Max! You look great!

Katie said...

I like his new look. I remember when I got my first glasses. It was sweet relief and I am so glad that Max has them :)
Love,
Katie

Chempianos said...

Lookin' good, Max! You're lucky - I didn't get my first glasses until I was 12, and I needed them long before that.
Grandpa Alan

Anna said...

I said the exact same thing when I got glasses in 5th grade. Look at the trees! I think he looks a lot like you! :) Hope you are doing great and are happy!

Anna

Meg said...

Congrats on your new glasses, Max! You look great!