"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family." - Thomas S. Monson -
Sunday, September 21, 2008
making the house nicer...or not
There are times when I get a little tired with the house looking the same as it always does. So, when that happens I move the furniture around or take a picture off the wall and put another in it's place or whatever suites my mood. Luckily, Nate is very patient with this but really everything is looking good where it is. EXCEPT my yucky linoleum in the kitchen! I really do not like it. A few years ago we took up the yucky carpet in the living room and down the hall to reveal wonderful hard wood floors (with plywood mixed in and framing from the original layout). But the disgusting carpet was gone!! And I feel healthy and cleaner for it.
So, back to the linoleum in my kitchen. Nate had to be out of town from Thursday to Sunday, so I asked if he'd be okay for my brother Jon and I to take out the linoleum because it would just have the same hard wood/plywood mix and it has to be better than the linoleum! He's fine but warns that it's probably going to be worse than I think.
Me, being the never-ending optimist to the point of - sometimes - impracticality, decided it would be worth the effort and what could be under the sub-floor?
It only took a little under 5 minutes for Jon and I to take up a four by eleven section of two layers of linoleum and their sub-floor. Seemed like all was fine; unfortunately we did find lovely black and yellow-from smoke- asbestos tiles stuck to my beautiful hard-wood floors.
So, if not disturbed the asbestos is fine and there it sits in my kitchen. Now, I have, from North to South, plywood, asbestos tiles, and the two layers of linoleum in my kitchen.
I love old houses and the surprises they bring.
The moral of this story is "it's great to be optimistic, but make sure it balances with practicality.
I think I'll stick to moving furniture around.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, Krista, I'm so sorry. How disappointing. That's too bad. I love your optimism and motivation. I hope you can figure out what to do with the floor. Good luck! Love you all!
Post a Comment