"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family." - Thomas S. Monson -

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Resolutions

We were able to have our family home evening on Tuesday and chose our new family and personal goals (as mentioned in the post from Jan. 1). I won't tell all our family goals, but wanted to note that one of them is to keep our bedrooms clean - we all seem to have a difficult time with this. Another note, I only started with four, today I have seven. I think it would be smart to be more concise and/or realistic...but...well...I really do want to work on these seven things.
  1. Finish the projects I'm working on and do not start a new one until they are all finished. This will be very difficult for me as I am the queen of unfinished projects. One of the ones I would like to finish I started in 1995. :D
  2. Read scriptures and pray daily. I would love to say that I am wonderful at this but it definitely needed to be a goal.
  3. Write in journal periodically. Seriously, I could not put every day on this one, because I know it wouldn't happen. But perhaps if I start out "periodically" eventually I'll want to write in it more often. This way I will still keep up with basic happenings in my life and not feel guilty for not writing at all.
  4. Send cards promptly (b'day, thank yous, and x-mas). Obviously, since I didn't send Christmas cards in 2008, I havn't become much better at promptness than the time I sent out my TY notes from my wedding, on my one year anniversary.
  5. Be a listener (Sometimes I walk away from my family members while they are talking to me and sometimes I type things on the computer while talk on the phone - bad.) But the worst is trying to make eye-contact with people while focusing on what they are saying. Sorry, "dear reader", (quoting from a good friend of mine) but I really have to concentrate on what a person is saying or one line of their comments may become a really great tangent to some other subject in my mind.
  6. Stay on budget.
  7. Practice the piano. (This is actually one of my first goals and I have done it, so far, every day but two since Jan. 1.) Okay, so I just realized that it was only the 8th of January, but we've been sick at our house. And six out of eight is pretty good for a start; right? ;-)

3 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I need to practice the piano, too! That's a great resolution. It's such a helpful skill!

Robyn said...

Good resolutions. Some of them I need to make for myself. Good luck and maybe we can all help each other keep them. MOM

Meg said...

Those are great goals!