"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family." - Thomas S. Monson -

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Garden planting

We planted the garden a few weeks ago. I'll have to post pictures later. Hopefully some tomatoes, pumpkins, peas, peppers (bell and jalapeno), cucumbers, watermelon, and cantaloupe will come up. We also bought two blueberry plants, we'll see how that goes; I killed our last two, but they were in pots and these are in the ground...I'm hoping they will survive better relying on the rain and not my watering skills. Already, we have a tomato growing and the leaves of the pumpkins are out and expanding, the peppers' leaves are growing and a couple have flowers. Before I go on too far, I should let you know that we only planted the peas from seed, unless you count the 20-some pumpkin plants that I found under our garbage can, where we had somehow missed a pumpkin from last October, but we didn't technically sow those ourselves. So, thanks to a big home improvement store and our local grocery store, hopefully we will get some veggies this year.

5 comments:

chempianos said...

Sounds fun. Ever notice, though, that the kids are excited about planting things, even more excited about eating the results - and not at all interested in pulling weeds? Sounds like their mother at their age...

Joe and Britt said...

Well Kris, your blog is so darling! It took me some time to get through it because I haven't visited for a bit! Good luck on the garden! We had volunteer pumpkins too! We through our rotten halloween pumkins in the garden and the next year they came up next to the zuccini and became hybrid zuccini-pumpkins! They were strange looking, but still very yummy! We love ya and look forward to seeing you in a while!

Krista said...

Dad, we aren't even going to try to get them to pull these horrendous weeds. I can't even pull them without killing my hands and they just break off from the top...really they are like trying to get an entire dandelion out of the ground, which even with that special tool you can't get the whole thing and it comes back twice as many twice as big. We've decided a hoe works nicely (the kids have one too) and there is this new stuff called Preen that we hope works really well.

The Sanders Family said...

Sounds like you'll have a great crop! We had a big garden at the old house, one of the things I am missing about now.

Meg said...

Yeah to the garden! I'm hoping you get a very bountiful crop this year.