"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family." - Thomas S. Monson -

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Pinewood Derby

Max had his pinewood derby yesterday at 3:00.  He and Nate started working on his pinewood derby car Thursday night.  It started with the design; Nate printed some templates of the car shape and brought them home for Max to configure and draw on.  Max decided on a great white shark.  He and I looked up pictures of them on line, then he drew it and cut it out.  The rest was up to the father and son.  Max and Nate traced the template onto the wood from the derby kit.  Nate got the cutting with the coping saw started, then passed it to Max to finish.  Then sanding and some more sanding and even more sanding, then primer, then paint, then Sharpie for the eyes, add the wheels, add the weight.  He did a great job! (And Nate had a great time helping when needed.)  It was a fun 2 hours and Max earned 3rd place!
designing

finishing touches on the design

adding the design to the wood

working with the coping saw

I missed some of the pictures of painting, etc. but here's the finished shark

The line up of pinewood derbys

Finished race

Receiving his reward (best paint job) and trophy

3rd Place!

The Trophy and Great white Shark

4 comments:

Cody Edwards said...

That is perhaps one of THE coolest cars I have ever seen. If I was wearing a hat, I'd take it off to that design and paint job. Great job Max (and Nate)!!!

Katie said...

wow, that is really cool. I'm impressed with Max's creativity.

Beutler Family said...

Max: Great job buddy. Love the shark design and colors. Congrats on getting 3rd.

Meg said...

Way to go, Max! Wonderful design. And I love the white hat!